What is Silver Diamine Fluoride?
Silver diamine fluoride is a liquid substance used to help preemptively protect against tooth cavities from growing in your child’s mouth.
SDF consists of:
- Small particles of silver to help kill bacteria
- H20 that provide the liquid base for the solution
- Fluoride that helps reconstruct the material teeth are made of
- Ammonia to keep the mixture potent and effective long term.
SDF has been in wide use since 2014 to great effect.
How does it help your child’s dental health?
- SDF has been shown to be efficient in stopping cavities in their track after they have formed. Dentists call this process caries resonance.
- SDF destroy the bacteria that break down tooth surfaces while also stopping them from spreading to other teeth.
- SDF is often suggested as a much more comfortable option to drilling cavities. Children with anxiety regarding dental appointments find this option to be a much better choice.
- SDF can help keep cavities to a minimum or prevent them entirely if you feel that it’s difficult to make time for regular dental check-ups or feel uncomfortable about cavity procedures. It’s quick, requires no special equipment, and generally only needs to be done once per year.
Sum It Up For Me
Silver Diamine Fluoride is a safe alternative to the traditional cavity drilling procedures.
There are many different treatments for cavities. Please keep in mind that Dental Kidz Club has your child’s best interest in their dental health. The dentist may not recommend SDF in every case of cavities.